Viewing 1 to 12 (12 Total)
1980 BAA Guide to Waters

oldmonkey

oldmonkey
Total Posts: 44

Found my old 1980 BAA Waters guide over the weekend - quite a lot has changed! All that water on the Great Ouse, all those pits, the Thames, dozens of stretches on the Severn and Avon all gone, plus all the Stratford Canal. I'd ticked all the venues I'd fished (was only a teenager then) and match weights. Fascinating to see all the BAA Welfare results, Big Un's both Canal and River. And nobody had thought of digging holes in the ground and filling them with ten a penny carp hybrids back in those days.

Tags:
Posted on September 11, 2017 at 12:51 PM

curry

curry
Total Posts: 72

Re: 1980 BAA Guide to Waters

We used to have some sections on the river Leam back around then. Upstream from Leamington if I remember. I've actually forgotten whereabouts they were. Does the 1980 book give any details?

I'd appreciate the info for old times sake.

Posted on September 11, 2017 at 5:41 PM

oldmonkey

oldmonkey

Think the Leam waters must have gone by 1980, they're not in this edition, sorry.

Posted on September 11, 2017 at 6:36 PM

curry

curry

Thanks for looking. I appreciate it.

Posted on September 11, 2017 at 7:16 PM

pitchisshifter

pitchisshifter
Total Posts: 159

What gravel pits were in there Monkey?

Posted on September 11, 2017 at 8:43 PM

oldmonkey

oldmonkey

Several down by the Great Ouse at Deanshanger and Leighton Buzzard. Will scan the pages when I get a chance.

Posted on September 11, 2017 at 9:21 PM

curry

curry

Why have we dropped all these waters? I assume it must be a deliberate policy by BAA. I can accept some may have gone out of our price range or are considered out of our core area but it does seem a lot of water we no longer have.

I can't see much new water has been added, the R. Wye stretch obviously which is a peach by all accounts, What else?

Has BAA membership fallen massively? I can understand that people will not renew if waters local to them are no longer BAA controlled. That sort of makes it a chicken and egg situation, did we reduce the waters because our membership fell or did the membership fall because we reduced the waters available?

Any idea how our membership now compares with that in the 80's?

I'm not knocking BAA, they still have the R. Severn at the end of my road so I'm always going to be a member.

Posted on September 11, 2017 at 9:58 PM

KenL

KenL
Total Posts: 280

"Why have we dropped all these waters?"
Cough, cough, white elephant Centennial Centre, cough cough.....

Posted on September 17, 2017 at 5:28 PM

onelastcast

onelastcast
Total Posts: 821

Why have BAA dropped these waters? Probably due to the decline in River match fishing I would say, I have read accounts from BAA when we had the old format, that 100's of anglers used to descend on my home Town Tewkesbury every week-end by train mostly, it was the 'get away' from the smoke filled industrial Birmingham of the day, and of course just the pleasure of fishing with your mates.

Our habits have changed a lot over the years, and matches are smaller, but I guess in decline, so the revenue I guess has also declined from that source. Added to the fact landowners seek ever higher rents or freehold prices it makes it unviable. It's a problem for BAA, what do you do? They have to try and make the membership fee's value for money, and yet have to manage a huge infrastructure of waters, the BAA ethos is very much a working class one, and by and large still is, which is fine... but I do feel the club could accept more that match fishing is no longer the attraction in joining for most members.

I think you know where I am going with this, but for now I will leave it there.

Posted on September 18, 2017 at 8:26 AM

Johnny_Care

Johnny_Care
Total Posts: 407

It started to fade away in the mid 1990's in my opinion, the muddy puddles are the reason. Park behind your peg, cafes and toilets there, a bite every cast, tame carp and all of that.

However, muddy puddles don't offer solitude, peace and quiet etc, and for that reason many anglers have drifted back to the river. I'd rather sit on the river and catch one barbel these days, than 150lb of mud pigs.

JC

Posted on September 18, 2017 at 10:22 AM

oldmonkey

oldmonkey

Spot on JC I think, parking is the big issue for me as I can't walk very far and transporting gear is a nightmare. As much as I'd love to spend every waking hour on the rivers, there's only a few stretches that I can actually get to without crippling myself, whereas I can usually manage ten yards at a puddle. Think I need to buy one of those park homes on Northwood Lane!

Posted on September 18, 2017 at 7:47 PM

curry

curry

Oldmonkey, get a trolley or barrow, it does make transporting your gear a bit easier. I got one recently because I fractured my spine last year and am now struggling to carry my kit. It has helped, at least I can arrive at a swim without having to rest for half an hour before I can function.

It's not the perfect answer but it does mean you can go a bit further from the car park. It's also a bit cheaper than one of the places on Northwood Lane.

Posted on September 18, 2017 at 10:27 PM

We use cookies on this website for better user experience.
BAA Privacy & Confidentiality Policy

That's OK!