Viewing 1 to 5 (5 Total)
A 1960’s Picture of Match Fishing on a River … Happy Days

Re5erv0irReg

Re5erv0irReg
Total Posts: 681

Hello Fellow D’anglers,

I recently came across a picture of a fishing match on a river taken in the 1960’s

I remember back in the day, fishing in a few of the BAA Big-Un’s with me Dad and the other chaps from the Skylark Pub on the Vale.
Back then we would meet up and get on a Coach to take us to our BAA venues, Happy Days.

I am just grateful that I can still

Keep on Fishing……

Tags:
Posted on March 7, 2023 at 8:47 AM

carlingford59

carlingford59
Total Posts: 221

Re: A 1960’s Picture of Match Fishing on a River … Happy Days

is that where your from reg, the vale? i'm from across the road on the bromford. been here since 1968 since the estate was first built. not a single pub on the vale or the bromford these days.

Posted on March 7, 2023 at 3:39 PM

Meatman

Meatman
Total Posts: 156

Great picture, totally typifies the era.

What I find incredible is how closely they're all pegged to each other. I can't imagine any of todays match anglers standing for that!

Posted on March 7, 2023 at 4:47 PM

Re5erv0irReg

Re5erv0irReg
Total Posts: 681

Hi CF & Meatman,
Thanks for your replies, not from the Vale CF, when the Vale was being built my family were in Town in Woodcock Street by the Baths. The City Council was knocking down the Old End and moving everyone out to all the suburbs of Birmingham, we went to Kingstanding; my Dad’s best friend Stan Canning, went to the Vale. Stan set up the Fishing Club in the Skylark.

You are right Meatman, the current day Matchmen would be apoplectic if the next peg was as close as they were “back in the day”.

Back then the journey to the waters on the Coach was all part of the immersive experience, blokes smoking, talking about whatever, it was a different world, it moulded me to be who I am.

Stan served in the RAF in WW2 and was a survivor from a Crash Landing in a Lancaster Bomber, only 2 survived from a Crew of 7!
He always had a couple of bottles of beer cooling in his keepnet.
Great memories, great blokes and great times.

Per Ardua Ad Astra through adversity to the stars

Keep on Fishing….

Posted on March 7, 2023 at 5:20 PM

carlingford59

carlingford59
Total Posts: 221

my club raven a.c have a coach trip every year for our annual match and always stop off on the way home for a good drink. this years trip is to lower broadheath ( the jam factory )

Posted on March 7, 2023 at 5:28 PM

We use cookies on this website for better user experience.
BAA Privacy & Confidentiality Policy

That's OK!